This policy is effective as of 01 October 2015.
Welcome to GALA!
We encourage everyone to use GALA to share expertise, to seek the advice of peers, and participate in ongoing conversations. By participating in or attending GALA activities or events, participating on the website and social platforms that are GALA branded, including our association community and our public platforms like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Flickr, and YouTube, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines.
- Be friendly and join in discussions through comments, reviews, forums, and groups.
- Use your real name and a profile picture of your likeness (not your company’s logo). Likewise, post your real profile bio, rather than your company’s standard marketing material.
- Respect the intellectual property of others.
- Use caution when discussing products and services. Information shared with anyone in person or posted on any platform is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- Send your message only to the most appropriate platforms. Decide which platform is best for your message. Just sharing a link? Twitter might be best. Sharing an article with your comments? GALA’s Blog or Facebook might be better. Want to start conversations around a topic? Join a GALA Connect forum.
- Remember that GALA and other participants have the right to reproduce postings from publicly available content (such as blogs and open groups).
- Please attribute authorship when republishing postings, and if you aren’t sure if it’s ok to republish, please ask the author for permission before republishing.
- Don’t upload content that you don’t own or have permission to use, and don’t upload illegal materials or material encouraging illegal behavior.
- Don’t post offensive or obscene material.
- Don’t unlawfully use the site or any GALA resources. GALA reserves the right to report illegal activity to the appropriate authorities.
- Don’t attack others. The discussions at GALA events and on GALA platforms are meant to be interesting. It’s okay to disagree, but do so in a respectful manner. Harassment, impersonation, profanity, abusive language, or intimidation will not be tolerated.
- Except in designated areas, don't post commercial messages. GALA is committed to a sales light environment. We have numerous options for promoting a company’s commercial messages, such as web banner advertisements, company profiles, and sponsored content, and we ask you to limit your commercial activities to these areas.
- Don’t post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you. Remember that once something is on the Internet, it’s nearly impossible to remove completely.
If you do not agree with all of the terms and conditions, disconnect from the site and do not use the Services or any of the Sites.
1. ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS.
The Sites and Services are solely for your own use, and not for the use or benefit of any third party.
2. REGISTRATION AND ELIGIBILITY.
“Users” are any person or organization using the Services or Sites, including those individuals who are simply browsing the Site, and those individuals and entities who are Members of GALA. In this TOU Users may also be referred to as “you” or “your(s).”
You may browse the Sites and view limited content without logging on to the site or becoming a GALA Member, but as a condition to using certain aspects of the Services, you are required to register with GALA, and to gain access to member-only features and services, you must become a paid GALA Member. In registering with GALA, you represent, warrant and covenant that you are providing GALA with accurate and complete registration information (which may include, but is not limited to, your name, e-mail address, company affiliation and a password you will use to access the Services) and promise to keep your contact information and other information accurate and up-to-date. Failure to do so shall constitute a breach of this TOU, which may result in immediate suspension of your access to the Sites and Services. In addition, GALA members are expected to follow the GALA Member Code of Conduct.
Users shall not:
- create any account for anyone other than yourself without such person’s permission;
- use a Display Name that is the name of another person with the intent to impersonate that person;
- use a login or GALA account that is subject to any rights of a person other than you without appropriate authorization; or
- use a Display Name that is offensive, vulgar or obscene or otherwise unlawful.
GALA reserves the right to refuse registration of, or to cancel, a User Name or suspend a User account in its sole discretion. You are solely responsible and liable for activity that occurs on your account and shall be responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your GALA log in credentials. You must immediately notify GALA in writing of any unauthorized use of your account, or other account related security breach of which you are aware.
You represent and warrant that if you are an individual, you are at least 18 years of age, or that if you are registering on behalf of an entity, that you are authorized to enter into, and bind the entity to, this TOU and register for the Services. The Services are not available to individuals who are younger than 18 years old. GALA may, at its sole discretion, refuse to offer the Services to any person or entity and change its eligibility criteria at any time. You are solely responsible for ensuring that your use of the Services complies with all laws applicable to you.
GALA may terminate your access to all or any part of the Site and/or Services at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately, which may result in the forfeiture and destruction of all information associated with your account.
If you wish to terminate your account, you may do so by contacting GALA by telephone at (U.S.) +1 (206) 494-4686 or via email at email@example.com.
All Content, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, is the sole responsibility of the person who originated such Content. GALA cannot guarantee the authenticity of any Content or information which Users may provide about themselves or the organizations which they represent. You acknowledge that your access and use of any Content is at your own risk and you will be solely responsible and liable for any damage or loss to you or any other party that may result. For the purposes of this TOU, the term “Content” includes, without limitation, articles, videos, blogs, profiles, comments, reviews, information, data, or text generated, provided, or otherwise made accessible by GALA on or through the Services. Content provided, added, created, uploaded, submitted, distributed, or posted by Users, including Content that may be added to the Services in connection with Users linking their accounts to third party websites and services, is collectively referred to as “User Submissions.”
5. GALA CONTENT.
The Services contain Content specifically provided by GALA or its partners and such Content is protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents, trade secrets or other proprietary rights and laws, as applicable. Users shall abide by and maintain all copyright notices, information, and restrictions contained in any Content accessed through the Services.
Subject to this TOU, GALA grants each user of the Site and/or Services a non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, non-transferable revocable license to use, store and reproduce the Content, solely for the User’s own internal use. Modification or distribution of any Content other than for the User’s own internal use is expressly prohibited without prior written permission from GALA, or from the copyright holder identified in such Content's copyright notice, as applicable. You shall not sell, license, rent, or otherwise use or exploit any Content for commercial use that in any way violates any third party right to the Content, including GALA’s rights to the Content.
6. USER SUBMISSIONS.
Except for User Content submitted through private community groups or community groups with their own conditions, GALA may use your User Submissions in a number of different ways in connection with the Site, Services and GALA’s business as GALA may determine in its sole discretion, including but not limited to, publicly displaying it, reformatting it, incorporating it into marketing materials, advertisements and other works, creating derivative works from it, promoting it, distributing it, and allowing other users to do the same in connection with their own websites, media platforms, and applications (“Third Party Media”). By providing User Submissions through the Services, you grant GALA a worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully-paid, sublicensable and transferable license to use, copy, edit, modify, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, perform, and otherwise fully exploit the User Submissions in connection with the Sites, the Services and GALA’s (and its successors and assigns’) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Sites (and derivative works thereof) or the Services in any media formats and through any media channels (including, without limitation, third party websites and feeds). You also grant each user of the Sites and/or the Services, including Third Party Media, a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Sites and the Services, and to republish such User Submissions in connection with their use of the Sites, Services and Third Party Media, provided that you properly attribute the material to its author(s). For clarity, the foregoing license grant to GALA does not affect your other ownership or license rights in your User Submission(s), including the right to grant additional licenses to the material in your User Submission(s).
You represent and warrant that you have all rights to grant such licenses to GALA without infringement or violation of any third party rights, including without limitation, any privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights.
You understand that all information publicly posted or privately transmitted through the Sites is the sole responsibility of the person from which such Content originated; that GALA will not be liable for any errors or omissions in any Content; and that GALA cannot guarantee the identity of any other users with whom you may interact in the course of using the Services.
When you delete your User Submissions, they will be removed from the Services. However, you understand that any removed User Submissions may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but following removal will not be shared with others) or may remain with Users who have previously accessed or downloaded your User Submissions.
7. RULES AND CONDUCT.
As a condition of use, you promise not to use the Services for any purpose that is prohibited by this TOU. You are responsible for all activity in connection with your account. Additionally, you shall abide by all applicable local, state, national and international laws and regulations and, if you represent a business, any advertising, marketing, privacy, or other self-regulatory code(s) applicable to your industry. Certain activities or events may have additional rules or restrictions which will be made available to participating Users and which participating Users are required to follow.
By way of example, and not as a limitation, you shall not (and shall not permit any third party to) either (a) take any action or (b) upload, download, post, submit or otherwise distribute or facilitate distribution of any Content on or through the Services that:
- infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity or other right of any other person or entity or violates any law or contractual duty;
- you know is false, misleading, untruthful or inaccurate;
- is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another's privacy, tortious, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, offensive, profane, contains or depicts nudity, contains or depicts sexual activity, promotes bigotry, discrimination or violence, or is otherwise inappropriate as determined by GALA in its sole discretion;
- constitutes unauthorized or unsolicited advertising, junk or bulk e-mail (“spamming”);
- involves commercial activities (whether or not for profit) and/or sales without GALA’s prior written consent.
- contains software viruses or any other computer codes, files, worms, logic bombs or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt, disable, damage, limit or interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment or to damage or obtain unauthorized access to any system, data, password or other information of GALA or any third party;
- impersonates any person or entity, including any employee or representative of GALA;
- includes anyone’s personally-identifiable information; or
You shall not (directly or indirectly):
- take any action that imposes or may impose (as determined by GALA in its sole discretion) an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on GALA’s (or its third party providers’) infrastructure;
- interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Services or any activities conducted on the Services;
- bypass any measures GALA may use to prevent or restrict access to the Services (or other accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the Services);
- run any form of auto-responder or “spam” on the Services; use manual or automated software, devices, or other processes to “crawl” or “spider” any page of the Sites;
- harvest or scrape any Content from the Services;
- modify, adapt, appropriate, reproduce, distribute, translate, create derivative works or adaptations of, publicly display, republish, repurpose, sell, trade, or in any way exploit the Services or Sites Content (other than your own User Submissions), as expressly authorized by GALA. Proper attribution is required as well;
- decipher, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to derive any source code or underlying ideas or algorithms of any part of the Services (including without limitation any application or widget), except to the limited extent applicable laws specifically prohibit such restriction;
- copy, rent, lease, distribute, or otherwise transfer any of the rights that you receive hereunder;
- otherwise take any action in violation of GALA’s guidelines and policies.
GALA has no obligation to monitor the Sites, Services, Content, or User Submissions, and does not exercise editorial control over the content of any of the Sites or Services, except for Content which is proprietary to GALA. However, GALA reserves the right to (i) remove, suspend, edit or modify any Content in its sole discretion, including without limitation any User Submissions at any time, without notice to the User and for any reason (including, but not limited to, upon receipt of claims or allegations from third parties or authorities relating to such Content or if GALA is concerned that the User may have violated this TOU), or for no reason at all and (ii) to remove, suspend or block any User Submissions from the Services. GALA also reserves the right to access, read, preserve, and disclose any information as GALA reasonably believes is necessary to (i) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, (ii) enforce this TOU, including investigation of potential violations hereof, (iii) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, (iv) respond to user support requests, or (v) protect the rights, property or safety of GALA, its users and the public. GALA does not guarantee that Content or User Submissions will remain available on the Sites or through the Services, and you may not rely on the continued availability of any of the Sites’ content.
8. ANTITRUST RESTRICTIONS.
Users are prohibited from posting Content that encourages or facilitates members or Users to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or by implication leads to price fixing, a boycott of another’s business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Content that encourages or facilitates an agreement about the following subjects is inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
9. NO OBLIGATION TO MONITOR.
GALA does not actively monitor these sites for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to GALA's attention, GALA will take any action it deems appropriate at its sole discretion.
10. COPYRIGHT AGENT.
NOTIFICATION OF CLAIMS OF INFRINGEMENT
If you believe that your intellectual property rights have been violated in connection with the Services, please notify GALA’s agent for notice of claims of copyright or other intellectual property infringement (“Agent”) at
Globalization and Localization Association
4000 NE 41st St., Suite 201
Seattle, WA 98105
Please provide the Agent with the following Notice:
- Identify the material that you claim is infringing, with enough detail so that it may be located on the applicable Site;
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- A statement by you declaring under penalty of perjury that (1) the above information in your Notice is accurate, and (2) that you are the owner of the copyright interest involved or that you are authorized to act on behalf of that owner;
- Your address, telephone number, and email address; and
- Your physical or electronic signature. GALA will remove the infringing posting(s), subject to the procedures outlined in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
11. THIRD PARTY SITES AND SERVICES.
The Services may permit you to link to other websites, services or resources on the Internet, and other websites, services or resources may contain links to the Sites. When you access third party websites, you do so at your own risk. These other websites are not under GALA’s control, and you acknowledge that GALA is not responsible or liable for the content, functions, accuracy, legality, appropriateness or any other aspect of such websites or resources. The inclusion of any such link does not imply endorsement by GALA or any association with its operators. You further acknowledge and agree that GALA shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any such Content, goods or services available on or through any such website or resource.
12. WARRANTY DISCLAIMER.
Save to the extent required by law, GALA has no special relationship with or fiduciary duty to you. You acknowledge that GALA has no control over, and no duty to take any action regarding which Users gain access to the Services; what Content you access via the Services; what effects the Content may have on you; how you may interpret or use the Content; or what actions you may take as a result of having been exposed to the Content.
The Services may contain, or direct you to websites containing, information that some people may find offensive or inappropriate. GALA makes no representations concerning any Content contained in or accessed through the Services, and GALA will not be responsible or liable for the accuracy, copyright compliance, legality, completeness or decency of material contained in or accessed through the Services.
You release us from all liability relating to your connections and relationships with other Users. You understand that we do not, in any way, screen Users, nor do we inquire into the backgrounds of Users or attempt to verify their backgrounds or statements. We make no representations or warranties as to the conduct of Users or the veracity of any information Users provide. In no event shall GALA be liable for any damages whatsoever, whether direct, indirect, general, special, compensatory, consequential, and/or incidental, arising out of or relating to the conduct of you or anyone else in connection with the Services, including, without limitation, bodily injury, emotional distress, and any damages resulting in any way from communications or meetings with Users or persons you may otherwise meet through the Services. As such, you agree to take reasonable precautions and exercise the utmost personal care in all interactions with any individual you come into contact with through the Services, particularly if you decide to meet such individuals in person. For example, you should not, under any circumstances, provide your financial information (e.g., credit card or bank account numbers) to other individuals.
The Sites and Services are provided “as is”, “as available” and are provided without any representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of title, non-infringement, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, and any warranties implied by any course of performance or usage of trade, all of which are expressly disclaimed, save to the extent required by law.
GALA, and its officers, members, managers, employees, agents, representatives, suppliers, partners and content providers do not warrant that: (a) the Services will be secure or available at any particular time or location; (b) any defects or errors will be corrected; (c) any content or software available at or through the Services is free of viruses or other harmful components; or (d) the results of using the Services will meet your requirements. Your use of the Sites and the Services is solely at your own risk. Some states/countries do not allow limitations on implied warranties, so the above limitations may not apply to you.
You shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless GALA, its affiliates and each of its and its affiliates’ employees, contractors, directors, suppliers and representatives from all losses, costs, actions, claims, damages, expenses (including reasonable legal costs) or liabilities, that arise from or relate to your use or misuse of, or access to, the Sites, Services, Content or otherwise from your User Submissions, violation of this TOU, or infringement by you, or any third party using your account, of any intellectual property or other right of any person or entity. GALA reserves the right to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will assist and cooperate with GALA in asserting any available defenses.
14. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY.
All liability of GALA, its officers, members, managers, employees, agents, representatives, partners, suppliers or content providers howsoever arising for any loss suffered as a result of your use of the Sites or the Services is expressly excluded to the maximum extent permitted by law. If a court of competent jurisdiction determines that liability of GALA, its directors, employees, agents, representatives, partners, suppliers or content providers (as applicable) has arisen, the total of such liability shall be limited in aggregate to one hundred US dollars ($100).
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, in no event shall GALA, its officers, members, managers, employees, agents, representatives, partners, suppliers or content providers, be liable under contract, tort, strict liability, negligence or any other legal or equitable theory or otherwise (and whether or not GALA, its officers, members, managers, employees, agents, representatives, partners, suppliers or content providers had prior knowledge of the circumstances giving rise to such loss or damage) with respect to the Sites or the Services for:
- Indirect or consequential losses or damages;
- Loss of actual or anticipated profits;
- Loss of revenue;
- Loss of goodwill;
- Loss of data;
- Loss of anticipated savings;
- Wasted expenditure; or
- Cost of procurement of substitute goods or services.
Nothing in this TOU shall be deemed to exclude or limit your liability in respect of any indemnity given by you under this TOU. Applicable law may not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability or incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. In such cases, GALA’s liability will be limited to the extent permitted by applicable law.
You agree that you must bring any cause of action arising out of or related to the Services within one (1) year after the cause of action arose; otherwise, such cause of action is permanently barred.
15. GOVERNING LAW.
This TOU shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Washington, and the United States of America. For all purposes of this TOU, the parties consent to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in the United States Federal Courts or state courts located in King County Washington. Use of the Sites or the Services is not authorized in any jurisdiction that does not give effect to all provisions of this TOU, including without limitation, this section.
16. INTEGRATION AND SEVERABILITY.
This TOU is the entire agreement between you and GALA with respect to the Services and use of the Sites, Services, and Content, and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals (whether oral, written or electronic) between you and GALA with respect to the Sites and Services. If any provision of this TOU is found to be unenforceable or invalid, that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that this TOU will otherwise remain in full force and effect and enforceable. The failure of either party to exercise in any respect any right provided for herein shall not be deemed a waiver of any further rights hereunder. Waiver of compliance in any particular instance does not mean that we will waive compliance in the future. In order for any waiver of compliance with this TOU to be binding, GALA must provide you with written notice of such waiver through one of its authorized representatives.
GALA reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace any of this TOU, or change, suspend, or discontinue the Sites or the Services (including without limitation, the availability of any feature, database, or content) at any time. GALA may also impose limits on certain features and services or restrict your access to parts or all of the Services without notice or liability. It is your responsibility to check this TOU periodically for changes. Your continued use of the Services following the posting of any changes to this TOU constitutes acceptance of those changes. Certain activities or events may have additional rules or restrictions which will be made available to participating Users and which participating Users are required to follow.
This TOU is personal to each User, and the rights granted under this TOU are not assignable, transferable or sublicensable by a User except with GALA’s prior written consent. GALA may assign, transfer or delegate any of its rights and obligations hereunder without consent. No agency, partnership, joint venture, or employment relationship is created as a result of this TOU and neither party has any authority of any kind to bind the other in any respect.
Unless otherwise specified in this TOU, all notices under this TOU will be in writing and will be deemed to have been duly given when received, if personally delivered or sent by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested; when receipt is electronically confirmed, if transmitted by facsimile or e-mail; or the day after it is sent, if sent for next day delivery by recognized overnight delivery service.
All provisions of this TOU which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
You may contact GALA at the following address:
Globalization and Localization Association
4000 NE 41st ST, Suite 201
Seattle, WA 98105
Tel. (U.S.) +1 (206) 494-4686