Sample Job Description: Technical Translator
This position translates and interprets foreign language(s) into English, and vice versa. It is a full time position within our translation service team. It works with a team of full time and part time translators, translates the technical documents mostly from Korean to English or English to Korean, and meets the customer deadline for delivery.
The Technical Translator position participates in the full cycle of project management, such as creating the project proposal for client approval and scheduling the internal work flow and assignments. This position coordinates with other translation team members and finalizes the translation project for delivery.
The following is a breakdown of specific, day-to-day tasks to be performed by the Technical Translator position:
- With in-depth knowledge of the English language, perform translation of written text from foreign language(s) into English (and vice versa) in various business and social settings.
- Translate a variety of material, particularly formal legal, technological and engineering documentation, from foreign language(s) to English and vice versa, with attention to fact and nuance, so that the intent and tone of the original meaning is preserved.
- Edit, standardize, proofread, revise and finalize translated material prepared by other employees and contractors.
- Organize translated material and finalize translation according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Prepare project reports and documentation.
- Research legal, technical and scientific phraseology pertinent to the assigned projects.
- Consult with experts in specialist areas; retain and develop specialist knowledge on specialist areas of translation.
- Advise clients and translation team members about matters of English custom, culture and protocol.
- Create writing instructions, reference and maintenance manuals for the translation service team.
- Prepare project proposals, training materials, technical reports, online documentation and help systems for assigned projects.
- Provide training to employees and contractors for a proper style of English software localization.
Minimum Requirement for the Position
We normally require for the Technical Translator position a minimum of Bachelor’s degree in English or related, and adequate fluency in at least one other language, preferably Korean or Japanese. A qualified candidate is required to obtain and present specialized information within strict accuracy and format requirements, and must possess the highly specialized knowledge of technical writing and translation. In order to duly perform the job duties described above, a qualified candidate must demonstrate the following skills and abilities:
- Technical Knowledge - This position requires the individual to have an excellent background in technical translation and technical writing, especially in legal and engineering settings.
- Writing - Communicating effectively with others in writing as indicated by the needs of the reader/audience.
- Information Gathering and Researching - Knowing how to find information and identifying essential information.
- Information Organization - Finding ways to structure or classify multiple pieces of information.
- Synthesis/Reorganization - Reorganizing information to get a better approach to problems or tasks.
- Active Learning - Working with new material or information to grasp its implications.
- Product Inspection - Inspecting and evaluating the quality of products.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, grammar, and history.
In short, the nature of the specific duties of the Technical Translator position is so specialized and complex that knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a Bachelor’s or higher degree in English or related.