Hansem, the First Korean LSP Certified in ISO 18587 MTPE
ISO 18587: Translation Services - Post-editing of Machine Translation Output
Hansem, the first LSP from Korea to receive ISO 17100 certification for international translation service standards, has yet again been the first in Korea certified in another ISO certification! The newly added standard is ISO 18587:2017: Translation Services — Post-editing of Machine Translation Output — Requirements.
Today, with the rise of machine translation (MT) and neural network translation (NMT) incorporating artificial intelligence technology, the localization industry is facing a new wave of changes.
Since acquiring our ISO 17100 certification in 2014, Hansem has been providing high-quality translation services based on international standards. On April 29, 2020, Hansem acquired ISO 18587: 2017 certification, the international translation standard for Machine Translation Post-Editing (MTPE), a new service area in response to the increasing demand for machine translation in the era of the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
In line with the global trend of implementing MT systems to process massive amounts of translated materials within demanding and challenging deadlines, the translation industry is now facing the challenge of improving translation productivity through MT systems, translating within tight turnaround times, and handling massive amounts of data within a limited budget.
However, at this point, it is difficult to commercialize MT results with their current output quality especially for Asian languages, so machine translation post-editing (MTPE) needs to be conducted by a human editor/language expert as a supplementary step.
MT post-editing is a different skill set and we had to train our in-house linguists and PM to adapt to MT technology and how to handle. In order to secure expertise in this new service area, which is based on international standards in line with the current trend of machine and human collaboration, linguists and project managers at Hansem completed the MTPE program conducted by the Translation Automation User Society (TAUS) in 2017 and acquired certifications.
Hansem did not stop here, and on April 29, 2020, we participated in the “ISO 18587: 2017 Certification” audit.
ISO 18587 is an international standard that provides a standardized method for work processes to be followed by translation service providers (TSP) providing MTPE services, the recruitment and management of post editors, and the quality control of MTPE output.
The certification audit conducted on April 29, 2020, despite being the first certification audit, was conducted remotely rather than in person due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The ISO 18587: 2017 certification audit carefully examined the following items:
< ISO 18587 Examination Items >
- Record and database review of Post-Editor resources
- Interview with the Language Service Division
- MTPE project management system review and project manager interviews
- Screening throughout the pre-production, production, and post-production processes
- Resource recruitment/management process review and resource manager interviews
- MTPE quality check process review and linguist interviews
- Interviews with MT experts
- Sample review of MTPE projects delivered to the customers
- Review availability and suitability of MT technology resources
- Review of quality control procedures and methods, including customer satisfaction assessments
- Responding to customer inquiries related to MTPE projects, preparing quotations, reviewing contract signing procedures and work orders
- Review project ordering, storage, and tracking procedures
- Review the actual project ordering process
Hansem successfully passed this rigorous review of our overall processes and post editor resource recruitment and management systems without receiving any additional recommendations.
As mentioned previously, Hansem is providing high-quality translation services based on ISO 17100 certification in addition to the ISO 18587 certification. By obtaining these two important certifications, we have been able to improve both our quality and service!
In the future, we look forward to using our expertise to continue growing as a leading TSP in the field of MTPE service, not only in Korea but also in the world!