Summary of the Language Industry Round Table
Hans Fenstermacher & Changqi Huang
Friday, 30 May, 2014
On May 30, 2014, nearly two dozen business executives from global multinational companies, language service and technology suppliers , and globalization consultancies gathered in Beijing to share viewpoints on key issues of common concern, examine case studies, and share experiences about the business of language. The Language Industry Round Table was co-hosted by Translators Association of China (TAC) and the Globalization and Localization Association (GALA), following their co-organized forum “Language – Key to Global Success”, one of the high-value forums of the China (Beijing) International Fair for Trade in Services (CIFTIS) held on May 29 in Beijing.
Round Table Participants
- Huang Changqi, Assistant to the President, TAC
- Hans Fenstermacher, CEO, GALA
- Ulrich Henes, CEO, Localization Institute
- Kevin Carl, Managing Director, Accenture
- Fred Hua, Beijing Moze International Cultural Company
- Chen Qiaoqiao, Johnson & Johnson, Translation Manager, Medical Writing & Translation Center
- Pollyana (BFSU), translation student
- Michael Li, CTO, SDL China
- Henry Huang, Business Development Director, Lionbridge China
- Li Hongxia, WOW translation company, Nanjing
- David Orban, CEO, dotsub
- Andrew Lawless, CEO, Rockant Training and Consulting
- Bengt Sjögren, CEO, Interverbum Techonology
- Eric Yu, General Manager, Global Tone Communication Technology, Deputy General Manager, China Translation & Publishing Corp.
- Frank Wei, Master Translation Services (MTS)
- Ben Pinney, Director of STEPS, CSOFT
- Peter Stumpf, General Manager, STAR Shanghai
- Michael Zhu, CEO, LAN-Bridge
- Tom Jiang (Jiang Yanfei), Huawei
- Fernando Blasi, AlphaCRC
- Li Jie, AlphaCRC
Hans is the founder of GALA, the world’s largest language-industry trade association, where he served as Chairman of the Board and CEO. Hans has been in the language industry for almost 35 years, beginning as an in-house translator and interpreter. He launched his own language-services business in 1994 and later sold it to TransPerfect Translations, where he was a global vice president for many years. Born in Germany, Hans speaks 6 languages and holds a B.A. from Princeton and an M.A.L.D. from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy. He is also an Associate Fellow of the Society for Technical Communication. Hans is a passionate promoter of languages and speaks and writes extensively on the language enterprise.
Assistant to the President, Translators Association of China
Join us on a journey into the Candy Kingdom as King’s localization team takes you through some of the highs and lows...
GALA sat down with a trio of CEOs to discuss important trends impacting businesses in the language industry.