Language Services Project Officer
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to having a diverse team where individuals of all backgrounds collaborate and learn from one another. We believe we can be most effective with diverse experience and expertise in our team. We recruit on merit, actively seek diverse applicant pools and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, marital or parental status, or sexual orientation, and welcome all types of diversity.
Contract length: open-ended
Hours: Full Time or Part Time
Reporting to: LS Program Coordinator or LS Partnership Coordinator
Deadline for applications: 12 September 2021
We offer in addition to salary:
- an innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team
- the flexibility of home-based/remote work
- accommodation and per diems when on deployment
- annual leave and floating holidays
The Language Services Project Officer manages and coordinates the completion of language projects relating to TWB’s non-profit partners. Reporting to LS Program Coordinator or LS Partnership Coordinator.
- Build relationships with non-profit partners as assigned, understanding current and future needs
- Work with partners to help them understand the translation process, including negotiating turnaround times and hard-to-source languages
Language Services Project Management
- Manage the entire life-cycle of multiple language service projects in a fast-paced environment
- Coordinate all project phases and efficiently predict the lifespan of all the stages of the project
- Work with the recruitment team to anticipate future needs and ensure sufficient capacity according to available forecasts
- Collaborate with the Community Team to ensure existing volunteers are engaged
- Negotiate deadlines with translators
- Establish and maintain excellent relationships with translators and revisers globally
- Monitor and control projects status
- Prepare and maintain project and team documentation
- Work together with the Quality & Process Coordinator to ensure partners receive appropriate quality levels
- Comply with relevant and applicable procedures for quality assurance
- Perform quality checks at various stages of process to ensure quality and accuracy (proofreading, final eye)
- Participate in organization-wide discussions, contributing actively
- Reliably and actively collaborate with colleagues towards the achievements of the team
Please note that these responsibilities may change over time. The role will evolve along with the overall program as projects and activities develop to reflect the changing language needs of the affected population and implementing agencies.
The Language Services Project Officer should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate is an energetic team player and leader who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
- Resourceful, able to get more out of small budgets
- Good interpersonal skills; able to work well in a team-oriented, collaborative, cross-functional environment
- Detail-oriented, thorough, accurate, able to meet deadlines, and able to work quickly and steadily in a focused manner
- Demonstrates initiative, persistence, ability to problem solve, and enthusiasm for learning.
- Strong ability to multitask, prioritize, and work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to mediate, negotiate, and resolve conflicts constructively
- 1-2 years of experience in translation project management
- Experience working with volunteers and small teams
- Good knowledge of language technology including CAT tools, MT, QA Tools
- Good knowledge of standard Microsoft Windows applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet Explorer
- Previous experience with nonprofit organizations, particularly in disaster relief
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- University Degree in linguistic/translation related studies
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders believes that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
- Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
- Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it is the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
- Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
- Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
- Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
- Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and conduct themselves professionally at all times.
TWB may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.
Send Application or Questions to
Accepting Applications Until
12 September 2021