Director of Language Services
About the Office:
The Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs (MOIA) promotes the well-being of immigrant communities by recommending policies and programs that facilitate successful integration of immigrant New Yorkers into the civic, economic, and cultural life of the City. MOIA is one of the lead agencies for IDNYC, New York City’s successful municipal ID program and spearheads a number of other initiatives to expand equity and empowerment for immigrant communities. The work of the Office cuts across a broad range of issues citywide—for example, workers’ rights, health equity, and language access—and MOIA works closely with sister cities around the country to promote immigrant inclusion.
The Adams’ Administration is committed to expanding language access and language justice and is launching an exciting new initiative to expand the City’s capacity to provide multilingual services to New Yorkers who speak languages other than English. One aspect of this initiative is to expand MOIA’s Language Services Team in order to nimbly provide high-quality translation and interpretation services to MOIA, Mayoral Offices, and City Hall and share best practices with city agencies. Established in 2016, MOIA’s Language Services Team has ensured that materials are translated, events are accessible to limited English speakers through the presence of in-person interpreters, and staff have access to telephonic interpretation 24/7.
About the Role:
Under the direction of the Executive Director of Interagency Initiatives and Language Access, the Director of Language Services will lead the expansion of the Language Services Team by providing strategic plans for scalability, which includes hiring and supervising project managers and linguists; providing recommendations and implementing best practices from the language industry, including technological, sourcing and workstreams; and procuring language services. This is an exciting opportunity for language services professionals looking to make an impact improving language access within New York City government. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Lead the Language Services Team
- Ensure that translation, interpretation, and telephonic interpretation services are available and delivered to MOIA and ~20 Mayoral Offices covered under LL30.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the Language Services Team, including managing projects and staff, coordinating events, and liaising with clients, partners, and linguistic resources (vendors and internal staff).
- Oversee the quality, consistency, and continuous improvement of language services.
- Give annual and on-demand trainings to MOIA and Mayoral Offices.
- Provide technical assistance on language access/services to MOIA, Mayoral Offices, City Hall, and city agencies.
- Serve as the point person for urgent and rapid response requests that may occur after hours and during weekends, possibly in rotation with other Language Services Team staff.
Oversee expansion of the Language Services Team:
- Recruit, hire, and lead a team comprised of a Language Services Manager and multiple linguists.
- Assess technological needs; procure and implement CAT tool upgrades and localization management tools (Trados, Smartling).
- Provide ongoing recommendations for expansion of services and of the Language Services Team.
- Set benchmarks and goals to improve services – i.e., piloting new workflows and technologies.
- Create internal guides, presentations for the Language Services Team, MOIA, Mayoral Offices and City Agencies.
- Manage the language services budget (estimated at ~$700K), assess new needs and make budgetary recommendations based on assessment of needs.
- Manage multiple contracts with language services providers that provide interpretation, translation, and other language services.
- Lead yearly procurement efforts by drafting scopes of work, justifications, and projections; and support key stakeholders (vendors, DCAS, & MOIA) throughout the lifecycle of the procurement processes.
- Lead data management and reporting for the team, which involves implementing and maintaining tracking sheets and dashboards, currently in Microsoft Power BI.
- Provide yearly, quarterly, and on-demand reports on KPIs for meetings, presentations, annual reports, procurement requests, and City Council hearings.
- A bachelor’s degree and at least 5-7 years of professional experience managing, creating, and scaling up translation teams
- Experience implementing translation and localization workflows, and new translation technologies
- Experience recruiting, hiring, and supervising translation and localization production teams of at least 6 members
- Experience managing annual budgets of at least $500K
- Professional fluency in another language is required
- Ability to communicate effectively, supervise, delegate
- Experience providing technical assistance to stakeholders on language services
- Strong time management skills and experience working with multiple stakeholders to address problems
- Strong communication skills, diplomacy, tact, and excellent judgment
- Ability to think creatively, embrace new approaches, and pioneer innovative solutions to intricate problems
- Able to occasionally work weekend and/or evening events
- Highly professional demeanor
- Experience with WebEx, Zoom and/or Microsoft Teams
- Proficient computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Proficiency in CAT Tools, such as Trados Studio and MultiTerm
- Experience with data analytics and data visualization tools, such as MS Power BI
- Experience with localization tools, such as Smartling
- Experience with Adobe applications, such as InDesign and Illustrator
Commensurate with experience.
Please send a copy of your resume, a cover letter, and three (3) references to Candidate Application
Send Application or Questions to
Accepting Applications Until
30 September 2022
New York, NY (in person)