Data Solutions Manager
Contract length: 12 months, with possibility of extension
Travel: Up to 25% for program support, data collection and external coordination/advocacy
Reporting to: Head of Research, Evidence and Advocacy
Application deadline: 6 July 2021
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
We offer in addition to salary:
- an innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team
- the flexibility of home-based/remote work
- accommodation and per diems when on deployment
- annual leave and floating holidays
The Data Solutions Manager leads TWB’s work on using data to identify, support and promote more effective two-way communication for speakers of marginalized languages. They build on efforts to date, developing, resourcing and delivering an ambitious program of data-led solutions, analysis and visualization with real-world impact. They design and propose workflows, tools, and approaches to help TWB and partner organizations overcome data-related obstacles to ensuring speakers of those languages can access the information they want and make their needs, concerns and views heard.
The Data Solutions Manager also provides overall oversight and leadership of efforts to track, consolidate, learn from and communicate the outputs, outcomes and impact of TWB’s work across teams and programs, through developing tools and methodologies and supporting and capacity-building teams to implement them. They feed TWB’s learning into external processes and debates, and contribute learning from that engagement into TWB’s own development.
Data solutions development:
- Leading, developing and securing funding for TWB’s use of data and data analysis to support two-way communication between service providers and the communities they aim to serve, including
- Coordinating and further developing our curation, visualization (mapping) and analysis of language data
- Identifying and designing new solutions to the challenges of collecting and using multilingual data to hear directly from speakers of marginalized languages
- Developing funding proposals and partnerships to implement those solutions
- In collaboration with TWB’s data scientist, identifying and proposing ways of aggregating and visualizing data (TWB’s and partners’ or other stakeholders’) that provide a better basis for decision-making and advocacy
- In collaboration with TWB’s data scientist and communications team, Developing visualization and storytelling solutions to make data more accessible to non-technical audiences
- Supporting the TWB data scientist to develop dashboards that provide a clear and distinctive basis for internal and external decision-making, aligned with and feeding into organizational learning and advocacy priorities
- Collaborating with internal TWB teams to ensure programmatic data is collected, stored, and used in ways that comply with GDPR and Principles for Digital Development
- Coordinating with external partners to ensure data is collected, transferred, stored, and shared in ways that support the principle of Do No Harm and protect vulnerable people
Support to programs on MEAL, and leadership of TWB’s organizational MEAL:
- Supporting consistency and learning in program MEAL through input to MEAL framework development and learning exercises for the International Programs, Program Technology, and Research, Advocacy and Data teams
- Leading on cross-program, cross-organizational learning and evidence: working with team leads and Tech and Comms team colleagues to analyze and communicate metrics and tracked data on outputs and outcomes across program and non-program teams, and where needed further developing tracking tools to aggregate and capture impact and learning
- Supporting and where needed leading on the development and analysis of surveys, comprehension testing methodologies, and other program-level data collection tools
- Panel member for the design and review of externally commissioned impact evaluations
Development of TWB’s credibility as a data-driven thought leader:
- Sharing and advocating for data-driven communication solutions through workshops, presentations, and conferences
- Providing a humanitarian and development perspective in the technology sector and a technology perspective in the humanitarian and development sector
- Convening global discussions around responsible data practices related to language
Please note that these roles and responsibilities are approximate and may change over time.
The Data Solutions Manager should be excited and knowledgeable about the potential to use data and technology to improve outcomes for marginalized people, and have the drive and vision to identify and advocate for effective new data solutions. We are looking for an innovative self-starter with a strong sense of initiative, an understanding of the humanitarian and international development sector and a track record in data analysis and MEAL, who can manage people, projects and processes to deliver results. The right candidate is an energetic team player and leader who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values, supports our mission, and can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
- 3+ years’ experience of developing data solutions in the nonprofit sector
- Project design and implementation experience in the humanitarian or international development sectors
- Project management and fundraising experience desirable
- Demonstrated understanding of MEAL and of communicating with communities/accountability to affected populations/risk communication and community engagement programming
- 3+ years’ experience of external representation, with a track record of effective coordination and liaison with UN agencies, international NGOs and governments
- Experience working with a variety of data analysis and visualization tools, including: Excel, Tableau, PowerBI, and ArcGIS or other web mapping applications
- Strong writing and presentation skills in English; other languages desirable
- Familiarity with language and/or communications technology desirable
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders believes that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it is the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and conduct themselves professionally at all times.
TWB may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.
Send Application or Questions to
Please use this link: https://clear.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=225&source=aWQ9MTM%3D
Accepting Applications Until
6 July 2021