Call for Candidates: GALA's Board of Directors, 2023-2024 Term
In 2022, GALA celebrated its 20th anniversary. In 20 years, we have become a valuable resource for language industry professionals; a conduit for knowledge and information and an unbeatable place to connect with colleagues and partners.
If you believe in a future-oriented and human-focused approach to industry challenges and in an association’s power to mobilize people and organizations, then we encourage you to submit your candidacy for the GALA Board.
This year, four GALA board positions are open for election. We are seeking candidates that are committed to their professional community, care deeply about the future of the industry, and want to ensure GALA's relevancy and success for 20 more years.
GALA's Board should be balanced, diverse, and representative of the association's general membership. That means we are seeking leaders from small and large language service companies, technology firms, interpreting agencies, universities, and enterprise localization teams - from around the globe - to join the GALA Board. Successful Board members demonstrate commitment to the association and show open-mindedness, foresight, collaboration, and have unquestionable integrity.
- Minimum 2 years of GALA membership (need not be with the same member organization)
- Mid- to senior-level professional with a minimum 5 years of industry experience
- Employer’s endorsement and support
- Commitment to GALA's mission and vision
- Avoid conflicts of interest (e.g., serving as an officer with a similar non-profit organization, receiving compensation for products or services detrimental to GALA, etc.)
- Acceptance of association policies as outlined
Board members devote 3-5 hours per month to GALA volunteer work. The term of office is two years: 01 January 2023 through 31 December 2024.
Review the GALA Board Eligibility, Qualifications, and Duties document and Elections FAQ for more information.
The GALA Board of Directors is responsible for the strategic direction of the association. The committee convenes monthly (virtually) to discuss the association's goals and priorities. Additionally, Board members may participate on executive sub-committees such as governance and finance, and on member committees as a board liaison. Collectively, the board is responsible for the following:
- Decide matters of association policy, direction, and strategy
- Identify and address short- and long-term association opportunities, threats, and priorities
- Establish and dissolve committees, task forces, and working groups
- Serve as board liaison on strategic member committees
- Ensure adequate financial resources are available and allocated; provide effective financial oversight
- Review and approve the annual budget
- Hire and regularly assess the association’s Executive Director
During their 2-year tenure, board members should be prepared to devote time to GALA-related activities including:
- Regularly scheduled virtual board meetings
- Annual in-person board meeting (in conjunction with GALA's annual conference)
- Other potential face-to-face meetings co-located with major industry events
- Participation in member engagement initiatives and committees
- Leadership on specific association initiatives
Candidate statements will be published on GALA website in November. GALA distributes one (1) ballot to the single voting contact at each GALA member company. The voting contact casts votes for four of the candidates. The four candidates with the most votes will be elected.
26 September | Call for Candidates opens
07 October | Deadline to submit candidacy
07 November | Candidates announced
16 November | Voting opens, ballots distributed to voting contacts
01 December | Voting closes at 12:00 pm PST
15 December | Results announced
01 January | New term commences
For more information about Board Elections, please review the GALA Board Eligibility, Qualifications, and Duties document and the Elections FAQ.
Candidates are self-nominated. To submit your candidacy for the 2023-2024 term, log in to your GALA user profile and complete the self-nomination form. Please review and update your user profile for accuracy before completing the form (some fields will populate with your profile information).
GALA’s Nominating Committee will review all candidate submissions to ensure they meet minimum qualifications. The Nominating Committee may encourage a candidate to withdraw in certain circumstances. For example, if there is more than one candidate from a member company or if there is an over-representation of a particular member segment.
For queries about GALA's Board of Directors, submitting your candidacy, or the elections process, please contact Alicia Deadrick (GALA's Membership Manager and Board Elections point of contact) at [email protected]