Call for Candidates: GALA's Board of Directors, 2022-2023 term
In April 2022, GALA will celebrate its 20th anniversary. In 20 years we have become a valuable resource for language industry professionals to share knowledge, an unbiased and egalitarian platform for information, and an unbeatable place to connect with colleagues and partners.
If you believe in a future-oriented and human-focused approach to industry challenges and in an association’s power as a cooperative link between people and organizations, then we encourage you to submit your candidacy to volunteer on the board of directors for the 2022-2023 term.
This year, three GALA board positions will be open for election. We are seeking candidates that are passionate about their professional community, care deeply about the future of our industry, and want to contribute to the strategy of the association to ensure relevancy for 20+ more years.
GALA is an inclusive association. Our board should be fully representative of that diversity and therefore we invite leaders from small and large LSPs, technology firms, universities, and employees of enterprise localization teams to provide informed counsel for major strategic decisions. The term of office is two years: 01 January 2022 through 31 December 2023.
To be eligible, the candidate must possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum 3 years of GALA membership (need not be with the same member organization)
- Mid- to senior-level professional with minimum 5 years of industry experience
- Have employer’s endorsement
- Be committed to the Association’s mission and vision
- Be willing to devote an estimated 5 hours per month to GALA volunteer work
- Acceptance of Association Policies as outlined in the Board Policy Manual
Review the GALA Board Eligibility, Qualifications, and Duties document and Elections FAQ for more information.
The GALA Board of Directors is responsible for the strategic direction of the association. The group meets regularly to discuss the association's direction and goals. Collectively, the board is responsible for the following:
- Decide matters of Association policy, direction, and strategy
- Identify and address short- and long-term Association opportunities, threats, and issues
- Establish and dissolve committees, task forces, and working groups
- Ensure adequate financial resources are available and allocated; manage those resources by providing effective financial governance and oversight
- Review and approve the annual budget
- Hire and regularly assess the Association’s Executive Director
During their 2-year tenure, board members should be prepared to devote time to GALA-related activities including:
- A monthly board meeting (virtual) (though the board may conduct more frequent meetings as deemed necessary)
- Annual board meeting/workshop (either in conjunction with GALA's spring annual conference or virtual)
- One ore two other face-to-face meetings co-located with major industry events
- Participation in member engagement initiatives
- Leadership on specific association initiatives
Candidate statements and brief biographies will be posted to the GALA website in October. We will distribute a ballot to the voting contact at each GALA member company. Each member organization will receive one ballot. The voting contact will cast votes for three different candidates. The three candidates with the majority of votes will be elected.
24 September | Call opens
13 October | Deadline to submit candidacy
20 October | Candidates announced
02 November | Voting opens, ballots distributed to voting contacts
16 November | Voting closes at 12:00 pm PST
29 November | Results announced
01 January | New term commences
For more information about Board Elections, please review the announcement from GALA's Executive Director, GALA Board Eligibility, Qualifications, and Duties document, and the Elections FAQ.
Candidates are self-nominated. To submit your candidacy for the 01 January 2022 through 31 December 2023 term, log in to your user profile to complete the self-nomination form. Please review and update your user profile for accuracy before completing the form below (some fields will populate with your profile information).
Submissions are closed.
If you have any queries about GALA's Board of Directors, submitting your candidacy, or the elections process, please contact Alicia Deadrick (GALA's Membership Manager and Board Elections point of contact) at [email protected]