Here you can find Frequently Asked Questions about GALA Connect and how to perform tasks related to the online community. If you have additional questions, please contact [email protected]
Why do I need a website account to access Connect?
Connect was created as a place for language industry professionals to gather and collaborate. A profile is necessary for a variety of reasons, including:
- Recognizing if you are employed at a GALA member company. Members have access to GALA member-only groups.
- Networking. Part of building trust and networking with your peers around the globe is accurately representing yourself and your company.
Having trouble accessing your website account? Learn how to reset your password or request a new one here.
- Log in to your profile
- Select "Edit" in the left-side navigation menu
- Scroll down until you reach the "Community Notification Settings" section. Here you can change the notifications you receive about groups, posts, and comments.
- Select "Save" when you are done making changes.
To set your notifications on a per-group conversation basis: When posting your comment, select or unselect the box "Notify me when new comments are posted." Once that box is selected, you will be able to select whether you want to receive notifications for replies to your comment specifically, or for all replies on the thread.
How do I update my notification settings for a particular forum discussion or group conversation?
If you would like to unfollow a conversation or discussion that you are currently following, please see the instructions to "Edit my Post" below. When you are on the edit page, unselect the box called "Notify me when new comments are posted" and select "Add a comment" or "Save" to save your changes. Don't forget to complete the CAPTCHA, if need be!
Selecting this button will open the post for editing. Complete the edits and select "Add a comment" or "Save" to save the changes. When a comment is edited a small pen and paper icon will appear at the top of the comment.
- A discussion in the forum is best suited for a simple topic or a one-time question you wish to pose to the general community. (Ex: What industry events does your management team typically attend?)
- A group is ideal for long-term conversations and collaboration about a multi-faceted topic. (Ex: Machine Translation, Terminology Management)
How do I join GALA?
To purchase GALA membership, the first step is to register yourself and your company on the GALA website. You can register via this link.
After you have created both an individual profile and a company profile, navigate to your company profile page by clicking on your company name that appears in the brown bar at the top of the website.
Once on your company profile page, click "Join or Renew" in the left navigation panel.
From this page, you will then have several payment options:
- Purchase membership via credit card and sign-up for annual auto renewal
- Purchase membership via credit card with a one-time online payment
- Request to receive an invoice in advance of payment
Should you have any questions or need assistance with payment options, please contact [email protected].
How do I join a group?
To join a Connect group, you will first need to log into your GALA website account. If you do not have a website account, you may create one here. When logged in, navigate to the group you are interested in joining and select the "Join this group" button. Special Access groups require you to complete a short form. A GALA moderator will review the form prior to approving or declining your request to join the group.
GALA Members Group: all community users can see this group, but only GALA members are eligible to join and participate in the group. This is the most common group type in Connect.
Special Access GALA Members Group: all community users can see this group, but only GALA members can request to join or request access. You will need to request access to the group. Upon approval by a moderator, you will receive an email notification welcoming you to the group. This group type is common for groups centered around a particular organization type or job role.
Open Access Group: all community users can see this group and are able to join. This type of group is common for regionally-focused and industry standards groups.
Private Group: only community users who are invited can see or access this group, both GALA member and non-member. It will not be displayed on the Groups page unless you are a member of the group. To become part of the group you will need to accept the invitation via an email sent to you. This type of group is commonly used by individuals working on a specific project or that are part of a committee.
I received a message that my request to join a group was declined. Why?
To join a Special Access group, you must submit a request. There may be some groups where your request to join is declined. Common reasons for not being approved to join a group include:
- You are not currently a GALA member and it is a GALA members-only group.
- The group is for a certain company type (client/corporate, LSP, tool provider, etc.) and you are not currently employed at the required company type.
- The group is for certain roles within a company and your job title does not match the required role.
- The group is invitation-only.
How do I add content to a group?
First, ensure that you are a currently a member of the group and logged in to your GALA website account. There are three types of content that can be added to a group: conversations, resources, and polls. When on the group's page, select the plus icon on the navigation panel:
This will direct you to a page where you can select among three options:
- Add a Group Conversation. Here you can start a new conversation, with a post title and description body.
- Add a Group Resource. Here you can upload files or webpage links to share with the group. Please note: You can add a file and a link under the same title and description, if applicable. However, only one file can be added at a time. If you have more than one file, please use a zip folder or complete as individual uploads. The number of links is unlimited.
- Add a Group Poll. Here you can create a simple poll to share with the group. Polls will be visible to all group members, as will the final results.
I have an idea for a new group. What should I do?
Wonderful! Please email [email protected] with the following details:
- Group title
- Group type [link to group type question above]
- A one-paragraph group description
- A few sentences about how your group will benefit the language industry and why the content is not represented by other groups already in the community.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Who can access and post discussions?
Discussions are visible to all Connect users, both GALA members and non-members. This includes posting a new discussion thread and commenting on an existing discussion.
What determines whether a discussion is "hot" and/or "sticky"?
A "sticky" discussion is a post that a GALA moderator has selected to highlight. A sticky post will appear at the top of the discussion forum page. A discussion is tagged as "hot" when a it receives fifteen or more comments.