Rising Star Scholarship 2020 Application
GALA is happy to announce the Rising Star Scholarship for 2020! Two students will be awarded a trip to San Diego to attend GALA's annual Language of Business Conference. The scholarship is open to students currently enrolled in translation, localization, and interpreting programs around the world. Attending the conference is a great opportunity for students to learn about important trends from translation and localization thought-leaders and make connections with industry professionals.
To apply for the scholarship, you will create an original conference poster. Conference posters communicate ideas and research to conference attendees. Posters typically include visual elements (such as pictures, data, graphs, diagrams) and narrative text to showcase your work. Two posters will be awarded the Rising Star Scholarship. The winners will be presented on stage at GALA 2020 San Diego, the posters will be displayed the conference, and the winners will have the opportunity to discuss their posters with delegates during a refreshment break.
Please create a conference poster addressing one of the four prompts below:
- What technology is needed to make work flows more efficient, deliver localized content faster, and in more languages?
- Which business models enable true collaboration between client, suppliers, and sub-suppliers?
- What data should be collected – and how – to help GILT professionals understand what delights customers so they can be better served?
- Where should localization fit in the product production process?
Poster submissions should be in English, 36x48” (landscape or portrait), and saved as a PDF. Winning posters will be printed by GALA prior to the conference. All submissions should include a copy of your curriculum vitae and proof of enrollment in an academic program (i.e. an unofficial transcript or a signed note from university staff on official letterhead).
Helpful links on creating conference posters:
- UNC Grad School Poster and Presentations Resources
- Colorado State The Writing Studio Poster Sessions Guide
- Penn State University: Designing Communications for a Poster
Two winners will be awarded a free conference registration and reimbursement for travel/lodging expenses. The approximate value of each prize package is US $3000. Submit your application below by 8 January 2020.
Please share this scholarship opportunity with your students and contacts. Download the PDF to display or send
Submissions are now closed.
We are delighted to have BeatBabel as a Rising Star Scholarship Sponsor this year!
To enter the Rising Star Scholarship contest, complete the online form and upload your contest materials (poster, CV, and proof of enrollment) by 8 January 2020. Please contact [email protected] with any questions.
The winners will be notified the week of 27 January 2020 via email. Winners must confirm they will accept the prize package and attend the GALA Conference by responding to GALA’s notification email within one week of being notified. If you are unable to attend or we do not receive your confirmation, a new Rising Star winner will be selected.
Entrants of the Rising Star Scholarship contest must be currently enrolled in a translation, interpreting, or localization program at the university level. Entrants will need to present proof of enrollment or program completion. The contest is open to all participants regardless of residence or citizenship, so long as the laws of their jurisdiction allow such participation. Limit one entry per person; duplicate entries will not be considered. Former winners are not eligible to participate in the contest again. GALA reserves the right to reject any submission for any reason at its sole discretion.
Judging and Final Selection
Submissions are due Tuesday, 8 January 2020. Entries will be reviewed by the Rising Star Scholarship Committee, who will select two winners based on the thesis, originality, and strength of argument.
Summary of Official Rules:
Please consider the following summary of rules as you prepare to submit your entry. By entering the contest you agree to all rules, regulations, certifications, copyrights, and disclaimers in the complete official rules.
- The prize package: each winner will receive a prize package to attend GALA's annual conference in San Diego, CA, USA. Prize includes a full conference registration, a ticket to GALA's dinner, and reimbursement of travel/lodging expenses to attend the conference. Travel/lodging expenses are limited to travel costs from winner’s home city to the conference city, hotel costs for one individual for 3 nights (15-18 March 2020), travel between San Diego airport and hotel, and a per diem. Winners are expected to travel economy class, and airfare shall not be booked without prior approval. Any additional expenses will be the winner’s responsibility. Appropriate documentation must be provided prior to receiving reimbursement.
- The contest is only open to students currently enrolled in translation, localization, or interpreting programs.
- All eligible submissions will be reviewed by a GALA staff member a panel of member volunteers (Rising Star Scholarship Committee).
- Winners will be notified the week of 27 January 2020 via email. Winners must confirm via email that they accept within one week of being notified. If you are unable to attend the conference or we do not receive your confirmation, a new winner will be selected.
- One submission per person. Team submissions will not be considered. Content must be original.
- By entering the contest, you certify that the essay you are submitting has no conflicting claims of copyright and that nothing related to your entry violates or infringes upon another person’s copyright.
- By entering the contest, you agree that GALA may use your content in publications, promotional materials, presentations, and websites.
GALA may be reached by email at [email protected].