GALA Rising Star 2018 Scholarship Contest
GALA is delighted to announce the Rising Star 2018 scholarship contest! Students in translation, localization, and interpreting programs around the world are encouraged to participate. Two winners will be selected to receive a free conference registration and reimbursement for travel/lodging expenses to attend GALA's Language of Business conference in Boston next March. The approximate value of each prize package is US $2400.
To enter the contest, submit an original essay (1200-1500 words in English) considering the following question: What impact does new media (such as video localization, eLearning, etc.) have on translation tasks and methods?
All submissions should also include a copy of your curriculum vitae and proof of enrollment in an academic program (i.e. an unofficial transcript or a signed note from university staff on official letterhead). The essay should not include any identifying information, like your name or the school you attend.
The GALA Rising Star 2018 Contest is now closed. Thank you for your submissions.
To enter the Rising Star scholarship contest, complete the online form and upload your contest materials (essay, CV, and proof of enrollment) by 8 January 2018. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
The winners will be notified the week of 29 January 2018 via email. Winners must confirm they will accept the prize package and attend the GALA Conference by responding to GALA’s notification email within one week of being notified. If you are unable to attend or we do not receive your confirmation, a new Rising Star winner will be selected.
Entrants of the Rising Star scholarship contest must be currently enrolled in a translation, interpreting, or localization program at the university level, or have graduated from one in the calendar year of 2017. Entrants will need to present proof of enrollment or program completion. The contest is open to all participants regardless of residence or citizenship, so long as the laws of their jurisdiction allow such participation. Limit one entry per person; duplicate entries will not be considered. Former winners are not eligible to participate in the contest again. GALA reserves the right to reject any submission for any reason at its sole discretion.
Judging and Final Selection
Submissions are due Monday, 8 January 2018. Entries will be reviewed by the Rising Star Selection Committee, who will select two winners based on the thesis, originality, strength of argument, and writing style of the personal essay.
Summary of Official Rules:
Please consider the following summary of rules as you prepare to submit your entry. By entering the contest you agree to all rules, regulations, certifications, copyrights, and disclaimers in the complete official rules.
- The prize package: each winner will receive a prize package to attend GALA's annual conference in Boston, MA, USA. Prize includes a full conference registration, a ticket to GALA's Monday night dinner, and reimbursement of travel/lodging expenses to attend the conference. Travel/lodging expenses are limited to travel costs from winner’s home city to the conference city, hotel costs for one individual for 3 nights (13-16 March 2018), travel between Boston airport and hotel, and three meals each day. Winners are expected to travel economy class, and airfare shall not be booked without prior approval. Any additional expenses will be the winner’s responsibility. Appropriate documentation must be provided prior to receiving reimbursement.
- The contest is only open to students and recent graduates (no more than one year past graduation) of translation, localization, or interpreting programs.
- All eligible submissions will be reviewed by a panel of volunteers.
- Winners will be notified the week of 29 January 2018 via email. Winners must confirm via email that they accept within one week of being notified. If you are unable to attend the conference or we do not receive your confirmation, a new winner will be selected.
- One submission per person. Team submissions will not be considered. Content must be original.
- By entering the contest, you certify that the essay you are submitting has no conflicting claims of copyright and that nothing related to your entry violates or infringes upon another person’s copyright.
- By entering the contest, you agree that GALA may use your content in publications, promotional materials, presentations, and websites.
GALA may be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.