GALA is delighted to announce the 2018 Rising Star Student Essay Contest winners!
|Ana Lucía López Mendoza
Recent graduate of the Specialized Translation and Professional Interpreting Diploma Course at Universidad Intercontinental
Each winner will receive a free registration to GALA’s 2018 Language of Business Conference in Boston from 13-16 March, and a travel stipend. Contest participants wrote essays in response to the following statement: What impact does new media (such as video localization, eLearning, etc.) have on translation tasks and methods? Laura's essay is published here; Ana Lucía's essay can be read here.
Submissions were judged by the 2018 Rising Star Selection Committee. GALA would like to extend thanks to the committee for their efforts: Gwenola Trystram (Dell Computer Corporation, USA), Miguel Sevener (BeatBabel, USA), Oleksandr Bondarenko (Translatel, Ukraine), Pete Smith (The University of Texas at Arlington Certificate in Localization and Translation, USA), and Serena Williams (Avantpage, USA).
The contest was open to localization, translation, and interpreting students worldwide. Forty-three students submitted essays from 33 academic programs in 20 countries.
Former Rising Star Winners
2017, Amsterdam (The Netherlands):
- Marion Hernandez, Master's Degree in Translation Studies at the University of Geneva, a program within the European Master's in Translation network
- Sijing Yu, Master's Degree in Translation and Localization Management from the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (MIIS)
2016, New York (USA):
- Audrey Laporte, Master’s Degree in Intercultural Communication, Public Service Interpreting and Translation, University of Alcalá (Spain)
- Yousrane Dramé, Master CAWEB, Université de Strasbourg (France)
2015, Sevilla (Spain):
- Lina Duparc, Master 1 CAWEB, Université de Strasbourg (France)
- Leticia Arcos Álvarez, Master’s Degree in Intercultural Communication: Public Service Interpreting and Translation, Universidad de Alcalá (Spain)
2014, Istanbul (Turkey):
- Miguel Sevener Canals, Master´s Degree in Intercultural Communication, Public Service Interpreting and Translation, Universidad de Alcalá (Spain)
- Adriana Bucea, Master´s Degree in Intercultural Communication, Public Service Interpreting and Translation, Universidad de Alcalá (Spain)