University of Illinois - Center for Translation Studies
707 South Mathews Avenue
Urbana, Illinois 61801
The University of Illinois is committed to world-class translation education and to the art and craft of translation.
The Translation Studies programs emphasize the integration of theory and practice. In the MA and the Certificate programs, we approach translation studies both as an interdisciplinary academic discipline as and as a professional practice.
Educating the Next Generation of Translators
The Center for Translation Studies is situated within the School of Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics and draws upon the world-class resources of its language and literature departments, faculty, and the university libraries to educate translators and interpreters to prepare them for the exciting opportunities available to them in today’s global economy.
Translators see a growing demand for their services in:
- International corporations
- Governmental and non-governmental agencies
- International organizations
- Web-based companies seeking to provide multilingual resources
- Publishers translating world literature
- Firms creating translation tools
From Baoulé to Zulu
The School of Literatures, Cultures, and Linguistics offers BAs, MAs and PhDs through a broad range of programs that articulate with the Center for Translation Studies.
Working in conjunction with other academic units in SLCL, Center for Translation Studies students benefit from:
- Faculty with expertise in more than 30 languages and a wealth of translation experience;
- Language-specific workshops and courses on translation theory and practice; and
- Opportunities in all major areas of linguistic research, including computational linguistics.
The University’s internationally renowned library is building a comprehensive translation studies collection to support the program.
The Center has a state-of-the art Interpreting facility with ISO standard booths housed in the Illinois Fire Service Institute on the UIUC campus.
Products and Services
Arabic, Basque, Belarusian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish
University or Training Institute