GALA Greets 2017! Goals and Member Survey
The past year at GALA was marked by momentum around our new web platform along with refinements to our key programs. Our activities underscored GALA’s commitment to providing member companies with meaningful experiences, both online and in person, and we unveiled several new programs and campaigns.
In 2016 our goals were to “Enable member collaboration; develop high caliber content and resources; grow membership outreach.” With these themes in mind, we were fortunate to realize the following accomplishments:
- Launched GALA Connect, GALA’s new online community, in September 2016
- Launched TAPICC, an initiative to drive collaboration and progress around APIs for the industry
- Hosted GALA’s largest conference to date (GALA 2016 New York)
- Launched our first special interest group with bi-monthly teleconferences (Client-Only Interest Group), a community initiative that stemmed from the GALA conference
- Completed our maiden year of the GALA Partner Program, designed to streamline and make visible GALA’s collaborations with a wide variety of organizations
- Invested in content development: New publications in 2016 included the first installment of the “How We Did It” series and an Education & Training Directory
- Facilitated industry bridge-building activities such as the #LoveYourLinguist campaign for International Translation Day and the launch of open community groups for communication between stakeholder groups (translators and agencies, industry and academia, and vendors and clients)
- Reformulated the GALA Member Savings program (formerly Marketplace) with 33 revamped offerings from 26 partners
Looking ahead to 2017, we have programs in place to support member and industry stakeholder collaboration, train member employees, provide a window to important industry trends, build visibility for our member companies, and deliver a high-quality membership experience overall.
Many of our offerings are still in their infancy and require commitment to ensure high quality. 2017 will be a time to develop our newest programs even further and to enhance efforts to share with the industry what GALA represents and delivers.
With our increasingly diverse membership, GALA is eager to meet the challenge of delivering targeted programming for various constituencies—language companies, technology providers, client teams, academic institutions, etc.
An important aspect of this focus will be developing and defining “pathways” for members to increase their engagement with the Association based on the resources and content that are most applicable to their unique needs. These pathways will map our existing offerings to the people and companies that can most benefit from them: pathways to membership, pathways to learning, pathways to growing, and pathways to volunteer leadership.
GALA’s priorities in 2017 are:
- Ensure continued excellence and value-add of our most popular programs
- Develop pathways that define and guide business and professional learning opportunities
- Support industry initiatives through Connect, TAPICC, Ambassadors, and new SIGs
- Invest additional resources into developing member-only content items (whitepapers, podcasts, videos, etc.)
- Measure user engagement and interaction (website, events, volunteers, etc.) to identify and address needs of members
- Target resources and development for emerging market segments within our membership
GALA is committed to delivering programs that have high impact for our member companies and their employees. We couldn’t have achieved our successes of 2016 without the support of our membership and our many volunteers. With your engagement in 2017 and beyond, GALA will continue to pursue our mission to champion the language sector and our member companies.
Today we are also launching our Annual Member Survey and would like you to be a part of it! All GALA members with website user accounts should receive an email with a direct link to take the survey. If you did not receive an email, please contact GALA so we can send you a link to the survey. We would appreciate hearing your thoughts on ways that GALA can continue to support the industry.
Here’s to a great year ahead!
The GALA Staff and Board