Additional and Upcoming Translation Industry Standards
Beyond the main industry standards of ISO 17100 and ISO 9001 there are a host of other standards to which companies can become certified. There are several listed below. In addition, see a list of upcoming standards.
ISO 18587:2017 Post-editing of Machine Translation Output
This new standard denotes requirements for machine translation post-editing, processes on pre-production, production and post-production stages, and the post-editor’s tasks.
CAN CGSB 131.10-2008
This standard is developed and promoted by the Canadian association of translation companies AILIA, and is based on EN 15038. It specifies the requirements for the provision of translation services by an LSP.
ASTM F2575-14 Standard Guide for Quality Assurance in Translation
This is an American general guideline to creating a useful agreement between translation buyers and suppliers. It stresses the importance of specifications. Non-certifiable, it does not provide specific metrics, leaving this to individual companies to decide on their own. It was developed and updated by ASTM International.
SAE J2450 Translation Quality Metric
This metric is an error typology and a points-based system to calculate translation quality scores. Developed for automotive translations, it is sometimes used as a general translation quality metric.
Important Upcoming Standards
- ISO/DIS 18841 Interpreting services - General requirements and recommendations
- ISO/AWI 20539 Translation, interpreting and related technology
- ISO/CD 20771 Legal and specialized translation services – Requirements
- ISO/DIS 21720 XLIFF (XML Localisation interchange file format)
- ISO/AWI 21998 Medical/healthcare interpreting
- ISO/AWI 21999 Translation quality assurance and assessment --Models and metrics
- ISO/DIS 20228 Legal interpreting