GALA 2021 Call for Proposals
Envisioning a New Future for the Language Industry
We have come through the deepest economic recession in nearly a century. As hope builds that the COVID19 pandemic is receding, we are focused well beyond the “new normal.” In fact, we are considering the “next normal,” built on a series of future disruptions that may be subtle or pronounced but will likely be unpredictable.
Consensus among business leaders around the globe indicates that building for recovery will require resilience, adaptation, and transformation. We are not looking to bounce back, but rather to “bounce forward.”
This need for agility is critical in the digital economy, which has undergone rapid changes and innovation. It is essential for enabling increased remote working and learning, B2C interaction as medical consults, and extensive delivery services. It is logical that change will continue to impact regional and global supply chains and foster increasingly complex data flows and exchanges.
On a human level, the future of how we work has arrived quickly, highlighting many inequities such as the vulnerability of the gig worker, income disparity, and the need for new job training and modern curricula.
Our fall conference will focus on these topics across five tracks. Our goal is to balance real-world experience with the sharing of strategic and practical ideas
Deadline for proposals: 06 June 2021
You must be logged in to your GALA account to access the form.
Dates: 12-15 September 2021 (tentative)
Please note that at this time, GALA 2021 is scheduled to occur 12-15 September 2021 in Dublin, Ireland. Given the current climate, it is not clear as to whether or not this event will occur as planned. If we are unable to gather in Dublin we will once again pivot to a 100% online event. We are working closely with the venue and other stakeholders to come to an agreement on our existing contracts and will announce any changes as soon as possible.
Tracks are designed to be inclusive and cross-functional. Please keep in mind our diverse audience which includes translation, localization, and interpreting professionals serving in a variety of roles. For each track we provide suggestions to inspire you and help you develop valuable and compelling proposals, that might include best practices, use cases, case studies, and success/personal stories.
Business Models & Processes
- Adapting to the hybrid world (in-person and virtual)
- Simplifying business
- Virtual working solutions and increased digital processes
- Pricing and payment practices, micropayments, blockchain and cryptocurrencies
- Resilience & reinvention
- What are the main challenges when considering pre- and post-pandemic worlds?
- How have disruptions created new opportunities for language companies? What and where are these opportunities? How do language services companies take advantage of them?
- How does the SME (small and medium-sized enterprises) perspective and future differ from larger enterprises?
- Regional perspectives
- Automation and business metrics
- From either the buyer side or vendor side
All Things Data & Standards
- Privacy, security, compliance: HIPAA, GDPR, CASLA, PIPEDA, HITRUST, SOC-2, etc.
- The new regulatory rules of the game: Where do language companies need to pay attention and remediate?
- Best practices for data strategy and data governance
- Protecting confidentiality and IP when using machine translation (to prevent liability issues)
- Data in the language service industry, such as:
- Language data, speech data, synthetic data
- Data collection, filtering and annotation
- Data marketplaces
- Analytics/metrics/predictive data
- Industry standards
- The importance of advanced standard certifications
- Which and how many (new) standards do we need?
Technology: Where Are We Heading?
- New times require new technologies: A look at the work of researchers and innovators in the industry.
- New directions for language platforms
- Main drivers for change and improvements on the technology side
- The impact of new technologies on productivity, efficiency, and quality of work
- Impact of automation and AI on our work and roles
- Best practices for remote and/or hybrid work
- Health and well-being of employees and colleagues: Balancing life when workplace and home are co-mingled
- The power of mentorship
- Filling the gap between training programs and professional development
- Leadership in turbulent times
- Career development
- What are the new essential skillsets for the upwardly mobile language professional?
- Where are the areas of growth and areas of need?
- What does the career trajectory look like now across all the domains in the language business?
Our Collective Conscience
- Making the market more equitable for all
- Using language and technology to give back to society/world
- Exploring the digitization of languages
- Bias in content, translation and MT as regards diversity, equity, and inclusion issues
- Making the best for linguists as the lifeblood of the industry
- Building and maintaining networks of trust in a time of continued social distancing
Interactive Panel Discussions
60-minute panel discussions that engage the audience in a dialogue around a specific topic. Two to four panelists.
90-minute interactive sessions that emphasize peer-to-peer learning and require engagement by all participants.
30-minute presentations of concepts that promote conversation, debate, and/or curiosity.
Have an idea for a creative and engaging session type that doesn’t fit one of these categories? Pitch it to us!
The deadline for proposals is 06 June 2021. Please complete your application using the form online. Final accept/decline notifications will be sent to speakers by the end of July.
- address the conference theme in a clear manner.
- fit one of the conference tracks.
- cover a breadth and depth appropriate for an experienced, sophisticated audience.
- contain a minimum of 3 concrete take-aways for the audience.
- not repeat presentations from other industry conferences.
- not be commercial or promotional.
Questions about the GALA 2021 Call for Proposals? Email us at [email protected]