Making Standards Work for the Localization Industry
|The GALA Standards Initiative promotes the effective use of standards for international and multilingual content, builds awareness of best practices for their implementation, and helps the localization community make open standards work. || |
The GALA Standards Initiative is an open effort to promote the use and development of standards in the localization industry by providing the community with resources to make better use of current standards, improving standards development, and developing new resources needed to enable standards to meet evolving business needs.
What Will the GALA Standards Initiative Deliver?
The GALA Standards Initiative has an ambitious strategy to deliver many benefits to the industry. The GALA Standards Initiative is focusing on the following projects:
- Coordination of standards-development activity: The GALA Standards Initiative has established liaison relationships with such key industry-standards bodies as ISO TC 37, ETSI, Unicode, and OASIS to help bridge the gap between standards development and industry requirements.
- The Language Interoperability Portfolio (Linport) project aims to develop a vendor-neutral, standards-based method of sending and receiving translation/localization data to increase efficiency and tool interoperability.
- QT Launchpad, a preparatory project for a larger endeavor to improve machine translation, based on a plan and roadmap embracing both industry and research on the European level.
- Development of the GALA LT Advisor, a directory of translation technology and other language resources, including standards compliance information.
- Free quarterly webinars on industry standards-related developments.
The GALA Standards Initiative has many other activities planned for the future. View an update on the GALA Standards Initiative's activities. Also, please visit the Future Projects page or read the full GALA Standards Initiative plan.
The Standards Initiative Needs Your Support
A serious, sustainable effort requires professional staffing and infrastructure. Read more here about how you can support this initiative.
All interested parties are encouraged to get involved with the GALA Standards Initiative. To join a working group related to a specific project, visit GALA Connect. To find out more or to get involved, please contact . If you would like receive email updates, please .
Key Staff and Volunteers
Arle Lommel (GALA Standards Coordinator)
Serge Gladkoff (GALA Standards Initiative Director)
Plus many volunteers throughout the industry who have given advice, feedback, and suggestions on shaping this initiative for the benefit of the industry.